This is my blog in which I talk about everything. But if you are interested in just the adoption story click here on "Ethan's Story" or see below under "other blogs" and you can see his blog. This blog contains the same information (my side of the story) but the other one is in a simple form and easier to follow.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

I'm back...

I'm so sorry for not updating while we were gone. It was a relief to me that Tyler took it over. There were so many details I would have loved to share with all of you but everything went by so quickly and I was dealing with emotions that were hard to express. I will not attempt to play catch up on all the details of the trip at this point. Once I have a chance to go through our photos I might do a post on a few highlights and thoughts I had.

We are home and finally back to a routine...of sorts. I'm trying to get used to having three kids. It has been interesting with two 2 year old boys who don't always agree that all of Evan's toys should be Ethan's now but do agree that they should be the only one held while mommy is busy. Also, four out of five of us are only just now getting over the jet lag.

Ethan is beginning to warm up to me now. If Tyler manages to sneak away while Ethan is busy we can usually avoid a huge crying session (In Vietnam Ethan used to cry until he intentionally gaged himself and through up. We have learned to keep his fingers away from his mouth!). He now will laugh and play with me if Tyler's not around. He will even come to me with his arms out for a hug or to be held...it's wonderful!

Ethan understands English very well for only being with us about 2 weeks. He also has his first English word! He started saying "bye" and waving to us. :) But I think my favorite thing he says is "cho" (s?). This is his Vietnamese word for aunt. This is what they called the caretakers in the orphanage and now he calls me it all the time (and Tyler which is pretty funny). I love that he has a name for me and I keep thinking "I'm more then your cho...I'm your mommy. I love you and will always be here."

It's been a rough two weeks and often discouraging. I have had to reexamine why we are doing what we are doing. I have had to seek the Lord for strength as I try to reach out to this little child and support Tyler when he is tired. But in the past few days God has blessed me with moments that warm my heart. Just now I went to the other room and Evan came up beside me. I reached down and messed with his hair. Feeling the funny bumps on his head I looked and realized it with Ethan grinning up at me with his sweet smile. Sitting back down at the computer Evan reached up at said "mommy" so I picked him up. Immediately Ethan, who was standing there said "ma" and also reached up. At the moment I am enjoying the warmth of Ethan's little body as he's cuddled up on my lap looking at a book...life is good. :)

9 comments:

Alaina said...

I just stumbled across your blog - by the next blog button. :) Welcome home - praying for the adjustment time for all of you and for Ethan's health and surgery.

I'm the adoptive momma of two from Kazakhstan (one with a cleft lip and palate that was surgically repaired in August). I'm passionate about adoption and alway thrilled to "meet" other families who have welcomed children into their lives and homes with open arms.

One of our sons was definitely more attached to me than my husband for awhile and now, he is totally a daddy's boy. :) Our children have brought so much joy to our lives!

The Ben Show said...

I was hoping that everything was okay since you weren't posting. Believe me, I understand how much those crying fits can take out of you. Especially when you're in a far off country trying to go to official appointments with a child that is not a baby and wants to be down running around! It really is so true that they bond with one parent first, but believe me, it evens out. Sounds like you're doing great. Send me an e-mail if you ever need to talk!

Karen Wall said...

Glad to have you back! :) Sorry that it was such a rough transition, but it sounds like you all handled it with grace and courage! Congrats on the new warm little body in your lap! :) I loved that part of your post!

Anonymous said...

Glad that you are back safe and sound. It sounds like Ethan is adjusting more and more each day and "taking" to you more as well. Congrats and I hope I can be in your shoes sooner than later. Take care and keep adjusting.

April
WL (VN) 06/22/07

K said...

Even though you were mentally prepared for all of the possibilities with bonding with Ethan, that doesn't necessarily mean your heart will be. I'm so glad he is becoming more comfortable and that you have had good moments. hang in there!

Leslie & Shaune said...

Glad you are doing ok and adjusting. Thank you for being honest in it not being easy all the time. It is good to hear about the ups and downs - Ethan sounds like he is doing well and that is great.

leslie

Kathryn said...

Glad you are back and things will keep getting better snd better!

Heidi said...

I hope you continue blogging! I'm anxious to hear how everything is going and to see some updated pictures!!

Kathryn said...

How is Ethan doing? I hopoe you will give us some updates!